Medical Student Research Day is an annual event held each spring providing an opportunity for students to present posters showcasing their research efforts and compete for awards ranging from $300 – $1000.
The 2016 Medical Student Research Day, combined with the College of Medicine Celebration of Research, was held on February 20, 2016 at the O’Connell Center and was a great success.
Congratulations to the 2016 award recipients:
The Alpha Omega Alpha Award in the amount of $1000:
Martin Wegman (MD/PhD), “Differences in drug relapse rates between alternative rehabilitation programs in Malaysia” – Mentor, Frederick Altice
The Lawrence M. Goodman Trust Award in the amount of $500:
Hassan Ashraf (Class of 2018), “Decellularized embryonic hearts to investigate congenital heart disease” – Mentor, Hideko Kasahara
The Lawrence M. Goodman Trust Award in the amount of $400:
James Fleming (Class of 2018), “AAV9 gene transfer rescued heart failure of cardiac myosin light chain kinase knockout mice” – Mentor, Hideko Kasahara
The Lawrence M. Goodman Trust Award in the amount of $300:
Cris Min, (Class of 2018), “Significant impact of fibroproliferative microenvironments in orthopaedic combat blast induced heterotopic ossification” – Mentor, Youngmi Ji
Kelly Costopoulos, (Class of 2018), “Retrospective assessment of coarctation of aorta repair in a tertiary pediatric cardiac center” – Mentor, Mark Bleiweis
Student Information for Research Day:
Abstracts are due no later than January 5, 2015 and should be submitted at the following link: http://researchaffairs.med.ufl.edu/2015-celebration-of-research/
Summer 2014 MSRP Students – please also submit your abstract to: Discoverypathwaysprogram@ufl.edu
POSTER PRESENTATIONS SHOULD BE ~ 5 MINUTES.
Poster Boards are 4’tall & 6’wide. Posters should be ~ 56 x 34.
Poster Printing available on Campus: (there is no requirement on who you choose to print your poster)
1. Architecture Computer Lab: 352-392-1009Located on 1st floor of the Architecture Bldg, room 118 on Inner Rd.; Open 24/7; Cost is ~$3.00 per foot
2. Academic Technology Printing Services: http://print.at.ufl.edu/printingquestions.shtml. Located in the Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) Building Ground Floor, Rm. 211 (Behind the Hub); Open Sun.-Mon. until Midnight; Cost is ~$3.00 per foot
3. UF Document Services: 392-1134 or email: email@example.com. Located on the Ground Floor of the MSB Bldg. at the HSC Post Office; Open M-F 8:00-5:00; Cost is ~$50.
Research Day Winners and Photos
(Photos by Charles Poulton)
2014 Award Recipients:
- AOA Research Award – $1000: Amanda Sacino, Class of 2016
Mentor: Dr. Ku-Lang Chang, Community Health and Family Medicine
Abstract Title: “Patient intake triage versus linear intake at UF Equal Access Clinics”
- Lawrence M. Goodman Trust Award – $500: Jodi-Anne Wallace, Class of 2016
Mentor: Dr. Robert Cook, Epidemiology
Abstract Title: “Prevalence of depression and association with ER visits among HIV Patients in a developing Florida cohort”
- Lawrence M. Goodman Trust Award – $400: Peter Cai, Class of 2016
Mentor: Dr. Sylvain Dore, Anesthesiology
Abstract Title: “The Serine Protease Cathepsin G is Detrimental in Low Reperfusion Subset of Ischemic Stroke”
- Lawrence M. Goodman Trust Award – $300: Samuel Lipten, Class of 2016
Mentor: Dr. Lou Ann Cooper, Office of Program Evaluation
Abstract Title: “Use of 3rd Party Internet Videos by Preclinical Medical Students”
- Lawrence M. Goodman Trust Award – $300: Jaclyn Smith, Class of 2016
Mentor: Dr. Ashley Lentz, Plastic Surgery
Abstract Title: “’Antibiotic Use in Cleft Lip Repair”