Medical Student Research Program
SUMMER MSRP DATES: JUNE 11, 2018 THROUGH AUGUST 10, 2018
First year UFCOM medical students are invited to apply for a scholarship that will support them during a 10-week individual research experience during the summer. Summer scholarships will be available from an American Heart Association Training Grant, Maren Endowment, Lawrence M. Goodman trust, and Educational Affairs office. Scholarships will typically be in the range of $2,000 depending upon the funding source. Students will also receive academic course credit as a Medical elective.
Research will be performed with a UF Health Science Center faculty member, and can fall under the description of any of the Discovery Pathway Tracks (see Track Descriptions above). Applications from students who are new to research or from students who have performed research prior to their entry into medical school will receive equal consideration.
Participation Requirements: Please read carefully.
- Students must each commit to 40 hrs of research activity per week for 10 weeks.
- Students are required to view online a seminar series (6 seminars total) on the Responsible Conduct of Research.
- Students cannot receive concurrent funding from another research stipend or Fellowship.
- Students must write and submit a PROGRESS REPORT upon completion of their summer research experience.
- Students must present a poster of their research during the annual Medical Student Research Day
The MSRP will begin accepting applications beginning November for Summer. Please submit a pre-proposal form so we will know you are interested. Application forms are below. The Summer Research committee will review the applications. You will receive an acceptance letter that you must reply to acknowledging that you are accepting the summer scholarship money.
Selection of Faculty Mentors:
Students can either select from the list of research projects on this website or develop a research plan together with a faculty mentor on their own. If you don’t see a project on the list that interests you, students should decide on the research area that they are interested in and then directly contact faculty within that area to determine their availability as mentors and what projects are available. The best resources that are available to help the students decide on a research area/mentor are the College of Medicine Departments (http://www.med.ufl.edu/about/depts.shtml) and Research Centers (http://www.med.ufl.edu/about/centers.shtml) web pages.
If you need advice in selecting a research topic and mentor, contact Dr. Gregory Schultz (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange a meeting during which possible projects and mentors can be discussed.
Required Training for All MSRP Students:
The Research Program requires that each MSRP participant complete the CITI Responsible Conduct of Research, “Life Sciences” Training, online at https://www.citiprogram.org/. There are several modules that make up the training course and each module will take approximately 30 minutes. When you have completed all the modules, email your certificate to email@example.com. Certificates should be submitted along with the Proposal Application. This training is different than the training that is required by the IRB.
MSRP application Requirements: Please read carefully.
(Submit all forms in pdf format to: Canvas or email to Discoverypathwaysprogram@ufl.edu if the assignment is locked)
The MSRP Proposal Application should be submitted electronically as a single pdf file, should only be approx. 3 pages and MUST contain the following using the required form below:
- Project Title
- Student Name
- Faculty Mentor Name
- Research Protocol Review Status
- Background and Significance (2 to 3 paragraphs)
- Hypothesis and Rational (1 paragraph)
- Specific Aims (1 paragraph)
- Methods and Materials ( 2 to 3 paragraphs)
- Plan for Data Analysis (1 to 2 paragraphs)
- Role of Medical Student (1 paragraph)
- References ( 5 to 10 citations)
- The Student’s and Mentor’s signatures
- Along with the Proposal Application, the students must submit their CITI Training Cerfificate (see above)