Student Limit of 10
- The track begins with an experiential series to allow students to learn the science and practice of several mind-body practices such as meditation, guided imagery, autogenic training, breathwork, art, music, and movement.
- This is a longitudinal experience aimed at introducing students to mind-body practices to enhance self-awareness and self-care. We anticipate that by providing students with these skills and giving them an opportunity for continuing practice, they become more resilient and caring physicians.
- Students will meet for 2 hours weekly for 11 weeks with two faculty facilitators who completed training provided by Georgetown University faculty, where this curriculum was developed. The students receive instruction on the practices, discuss their experiences within the group, and practice individually. Recommended readings will be provided.
- Students may continue the next year with another 8 week series aimed at expanding the knowledge base and deepening the practices. A 2 credit elective will be earned at completion of the initial 11 week course.
- Students are eligible to receive an Award of Distinction for the completion of a project and the 8 and 11 week series. These projects can be in the form of a compilation of essays, a paper submitted to a scholarly journal, or oral or poster presentations given at a relevant conference or to an audience at UF COM.
Watch students express their views on discovering their center: